Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Posted in response to a request; from Company's Coming Slow Cooker Recipes.
Make and share this Crock Pot Sweet-Sour Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut in bite size pieces) or 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken thighs (cut in bite size pieces)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine ketchup, water, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar in slow cooker; whisk together well.
- Add chicken pieces and stir.
- Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours.
- Combine cornstarch and second amount of water in a small bowl; stir into slow cooker when above times have been reached.
- Cook on High, stirring often, for 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened.
- For faster cooking, pour into saucepan and heat on stove, stirring often, until thickened.
This was very good, however it took long for the sauce to thicken in the crockpot. My husband thought the sauce was not sweet enough, but it was plenty sweet for me. I'd recommend this recipe, but use the stovetop method for thickening.
Just made this recipe today, great tasting, will do again but will cut back on brown sugar, its far to sweet. Simple to make,just threw in crock pot and thickened it on stove as susgested at the end, served it over rice with vegs, we enjoyed it. Thanks Jess96
This was my first recipe using a slow cooker. It was really tasty, maybe just a little too sweet, but will make it again using less sugar. I scattered some roasted cashews on top and served with a rice pilaf. Yummy Lennie!