Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
I love the idea of combining these two holiday favorites. Portions size: is based on 1/2 medium potato per person. Choose smaller or larger. Part way through the cooking I stuck a toothpic under the lid to prop it open to vent some of the steam and reduce the liquid. The original recipe did not specify high or low heat setting. *I started my crock on the low setting then kicked it up to high after a couple hours cuz I got nervous about the timing. (updates 11/2012)
Top Review by NurseJaney
Had some left-over raw sweet potatoes and fresh cranberries from the holidays, and put this together. Left the crockpot on HIGH for 4 hours, and the aroma wafted through the house all afternoon ! Did not include the pecans, personal choice, and this made a lovely side to the pork tenderloin I had in the oven. It was not at all "wet" with the lid on, and will fix this when the family is here. Thanks for posting !
- 3 sweet potatoes, uncooked, peel, and dice
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or 1 cup frozen cranberries
- 1 apple, peeled & diced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients, EXCEPT pecans.
- Toast pecans in the oven or dry skillet, set aside. Careful not to burn!
- Cook for 6 - 8 hours, until the yams are tender. I stir to combine every hour or so.
- About 1-2 hours before serving, if the mixture is too wet, prop the lid open a bit with a toothpick to let some of the steam out and thicken up the sauce.
- Put in your favorite serving dish and top with pecans for serving.