I love the idea of combining these two holiday favorites. Portions size: is based on 1/2 medium potato per person. Choose smaller or larger. Part way through the cooking I stuck a toothpic under the lid to prop it open to vent some of the steam and reduce the liquid. The original recipe did not specify high or low heat setting. *I started my crock on the low setting then kicked it up to high after a couple hours cuz I got nervous about the timing. (updates 11/2012)
- Combine all ingredients, EXCEPT pecans.
- Toast pecans in the oven or dry skillet, set aside. Careful not to burn!
- Cook for 6 - 8 hours, until the yams are tender. I stir to combine every hour or so.
- About 1-2 hours before serving, if the mixture is too wet, prop the lid open a bit with a toothpick to let some of the steam out and thicken up the sauce.
- Put in your favorite serving dish and top with pecans for serving.