Prep 35 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I found the sweet and sour recipe on betterrecipes.com and adapted it to our fasts. It was originally for Kielbasa but we discovered that this sauce can be used for hot dog topping, pork chops, chicken or anything you would like to use it with. This is our crock pot pork chop version. Let me know if anybody likes it! Sometimes, I add baby corn and a pkg. of frozen chinese style vegetables that I par-cook in the microwave in a little bit of water before I add them to the pan. You can add most anything to this basic recipe and it will still be good.
- 4 -6 pork chops (depending on size of your crock pot. I use the 1/2 inch thick, bone in ones)
- 2 medium green bell peppers, cut into one inch squares (you can use orange or yellow if you prefer)
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice (I use the no salt added in both)
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons water, to mix with the flour and soy sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can French style green beans, drained
- 4 -6 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- cooked rice or noodles, to serve over
- Brown pork chops on both sides and set aside but keep warm.
- Cut up the green peppers and onions.
- Stir fry in a bit of oil until soft/tender but still a little crisp.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and the diced tomatoes juice and all.
- Add the drained green beans and mix inches.
- Stir on low for about 10 minutes making sure they don't boil too vigorously.
- Add the ketchup and stir together.
- Add the brown sugar and stir.
- Add the vinegar and stir.
- Add the soy sauce, flour and water that have been mixed well getting out all the lumps so it is smooth.
- Turn the heat down low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Place half the sauce in crock pot.
- Top with pork chops arranged so they overlap.
- Top with remaining sauce.
- Cook on LOW heat for 6-7 hours.
- Remove lid and sprinkle with sharp grated cheddar cheese.
- Replace lid and let cook until cheese melts.
- Serve with rice or noodles.
We loved it! THanks for sharing! Patty in the UK (Didn't add the cheese)