Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
For some reason, growing up we always had to have cabbage to start the new year. This was one of my favorite ways to have it.
- 1 head red cabbage
- 3 tart apples
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Shred cabbage and place in crock pot.
- Quarter and core unpeeled apples, cut into thin slices and add to cabbage.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except cornstarch, and pour over cabbage.
- Cover and cook on low setting 5-6 hours or longer.
- Turn setting to high.
- Dissolve cornstarch in small amount of cold water and stir into cabbage mixture.
- Cook 10 minutes longer or until mixture is thickened.
This was excellent. I did put my crock pot on high for a couple of hours as I like my cabbage well cooked. It was nice a tart (I used a bottled juice!!) and good. Left overs will be served with a pot roast tonight. Thanks again Tish.
I have not made this yet, but it sounds wonderful. Has anyone else tried it yet, and what did you serve it with?