Recipe by Debber
If you like loading your baked potatoes will all those delish dairy ingredients, then you'll love this soup recipe, too! Original recipe calls for only four slices of bacon, but I -- being a little piggy -- love the bacon, so we always use more like 8 to 12 slices. You decide which you prefer.
Top Review by jarp4
I make my version of this soup all the time in the cooler months...pretty much exactly this recipe, but I actually bake the potatoes. The flavor is so much better than boiled potatoes and you don't end up with big chunks of potato like another reviewer (and I) don't like.
- 6 large baking potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2 -inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cream or 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup sour cream (optional)
- 8 slices bacon, fried & crumbled
- cheese, for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first seven ingredients in a large crock pot; cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours (potato should be tender).
- Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soup is slightly thickened.
- Stir in cream, cheese and chives.
- Top with sour cream (if used), sprinkle with bacon and more cheese.