Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
If you like loading your baked potatoes will all those delish dairy ingredients, then you'll love this soup recipe, too! Original recipe calls for only four slices of bacon, but I -- being a little piggy -- love the bacon, so we always use more like 8 to 12 slices. You decide which you prefer.
- 6 large baking potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2 -inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cream or 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup sour cream (optional)
- 8 slices bacon, fried & crumbled
- cheese, for sprinkling
- Combine first seven ingredients in a large crock pot; cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours (potato should be tender).
- Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soupy is slightly thickened.
- Stir in cream, cheese and chives.
- Top with sour cream (if used), sprinkle with bacon and more cheese.
I make my version of this soup all the time in the cooler months...pretty much exactly this recipe, but I actually bake the potatoes. The flavor is so much better than boiled potatoes and you don't end up with big chunks of potato like another reviewer (and I) don't like.
Love this recipe. Simple and delicious. In reference to other comments, this soup will be thick or thin depending on the size of potatoes you are using. If you prefer your soup on the thicker side like chowder, use large potatoes or add a few more than what's called for. If the soup is too thick, add more stock. I like to cook up the bacon first then caramelize the onion in bacon grease before adding to the soup base in the crock. This recipe is easy to alter and make your own. Its one of my go to soups for the chillier months.
I am not really a soup person and did not even try this personally, but my wife and daughters are, so I decided to try and make this one for them. Good news is: they loved it. Not so good news is: they loved it so much that they decided that every Sunday is now %u201CLoaded Potato Soup%u201D day. The only modifications I made were: I did not have any chives on hand so I omitted chives. I also added a little extra bacon and cheese. Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe!