If you like loading your baked potatoes will all those delish dairy ingredients, then you'll love this soup recipe, too! Original recipe calls for only four slices of bacon, but I -- being a little piggy -- love the bacon, so we always use more like 8 to 12 slices. You decide which you prefer.
- 6 large baking potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2 -inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cream or 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup sour cream (optional)
- 8 slices bacon, fried & crumbled
- cheese, for sprinkling
- Combine first seven ingredients in a large crock pot; cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours (potato should be tender).
- Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soupy is slightly thickened.
- Stir in cream, cheese and chives.
- Top with sour cream (if used), sprinkle with bacon and more cheese.