Recipe by Dib's
Here's a Crock-Pot stuffing recipe I found in the Calgary Herald and thought I'd share it. I'm going to use it for Christmas with the vegetable stock for my vegetarian so I will add my comments after Christmas.
Top Review by kjl0115
I have made this recipe for years, but never included apple. Will do that this year. I have one thing that I add to this, that makes it just like "in the bird" stuffing. I buy a turkey thigh, or wing, or similar size piece of turkey in the fresh meat case, and put that on top of the stuffing when I let it cook. It cooks for about three hours, and the turkey is cooked all the way through, plus the stuffing has the taste of turkey that makes it so delicious! It just adds a scrumptious flavor, and you can always use more dark meat!
- 473.18 ml chopped onions
- 354.88 ml thinly sliced celery
- 236.59 ml diced tart apple, peeled and cored
- 59.14 ml butter
- 14.79 ml ground sage
- 4.92 ml ground marjoram
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml savory
- 2.46 ml thyme
- 2839.08 ml lightly toasted bread, cubes
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 354.88 ml chicken stock or 354.88 ml vegetable stock
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large fry pan saute onions, celery and apple in butter until onion is just translucent.
- Stir in sage, marjoram, salt, pepper, savory and thyme.
- Combine vegetable mixture with the bread cubes and parsley.
- Toss well.
- Pour stock over mixture, tossing well.
- Spoon into your crock-pot.
- Cover and cook on high for one hour.
- Reduce to low and continue cooking for 2-3 hours, stirring every hour.
- As stated for Vegetarians use vegetable stock.