Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 (8 ounce) cans mushrooms, drained
- 12 cups stale bread, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Saute the celery, onion, parsley and mushrooms until onions are soft.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread cubes and vegetables.
- Add the poultry seasoning, thyme, sage, pepper, salt and marjoram.
- Toss together well.
- Add egg and enough broth to moisten.
- Lightly pack into slow cooker; cover and cook on high for 45 minutes.
- Reduce to low and cook for 4 to 8 hours.
Thats it for the boxed stuff and for pushing stuffing up the bird's you know what!! This was so simple and good. I used a lot of fresh sage (cuz I have a ton of it in my yard and I like it) and chicken stock instead of veggi stock. Made lots for freezing and using in other creative ways later. Thanks again Dancer^
This was perfect for our huge Thanksgiving pot luck dinner. I was busy all day preparing other things for the dinner so it was perfect to pile all the stuffing in the crock pot in the morning and not think about it until meal time. The outside was crunchy and the middle mushy so it pleased everyone. The crock pot was scraped to the bottom!
We smoked a turkey and deepfried a turkey, the oven was full of casseroles so cooking in the crockpot was a bonus. Tasty.