Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From the Rival Cookbook, here's a simple but tasty dressing/stuffing that's a perfect accompaniment to a turkey dinner. This version is cooked in the crock pot to free up precious oven space on the holidays.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups onions, chopped or 2 cups leeks
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley sprig (optional)
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 12 cups dry breadcrumbs or 2 (12 ounce) packages seasoned stuffing mix
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet.
- Saute onion, celery, mushroom, and parsley.
- Pour sauteed vegetables over bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl.
- Add all seasonings and toss together.
- Pour in enough broth to moisten.
- Add beaten eggs, and mix together well.
- Pack stuffing lightly into crock pot, and cover.
- Set to High for 45 minutes; then reduce to Low to cook for 4 to 8 hours.
This was good and very moist. I used a little chopped, cooked chicken meat and left out the mushrooms.