Recipe by Cooking for ONE #2
This can be made the night before, put into the refrigerator. Then put into the crock pot before going to work, or what ever you want to do the day. Try this recipe, you wont be sorry, and it won’t heat up your house in the summer.
Top Review by Cookin'withGas
this recipe was a nice basic starting point for me (hadnt made peppers in a VERY long time LOL)...I used peppers of colors other than green, Bcause thats what I had on hand (yellow, orange & red)...I used ground bison in place of ground beef (MUCH leaner)...I skipped the mushrooms...I used Minute Rice Brown Rice rather than the traditional white rice...Rather than spag. sauce I used a can of Manwich to add to the meat mixture, B4 stuffing the peppers...I covered the bottom of the crock w/ lofat/losodium spag sauce b4 placing the stuffed peppers in the crock (@ half a jar I think)...I concur w/ the user who suggested cooking for less time than directed...@ 8 hrs my peppers were too mooshy, 6 hrs may be a better idea...leftovers reheated well in the micro...thanks for sharing this recipe, it was helpful!
- 4 large green peppers
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 (28 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce, I use ragu chunky
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the tops of the peppers, cut below the stem crown, don‘t toss the tops yet.
- Cut around the stem, and chop the pepper part into small peaces.
- Remove the seeds from the peppers.
- In large frying pan brown hamburger, onion, mushrooms, and small chopped pepper from the stem. When browned, drain grease, add rice, and one half of the sauce.
- Heat, and stir till it is hot again, and it is mixed well.
- Put filling in green peppers (I pack it, but that is up to you).
- Cover the peppers with around one table spoon, or more of sauce. Dump the rest into the crock pot. Cover, and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Side note, the crock pot I use is 10” across, and 4” deep. The small, deep crock pots wont work.
- You can also make it this way, and cook it in the oven.