Recipe by littleturtle
A nice, easy dinner served with buttered rye bread. The wonderful flavor of stuffed cabbage without all the fuss.
Top Review by yamakarasu
This was SO good, I couldn't stop eating it! I used less liquid so it was more like a thick hearty stew, and I absolutely loved it like that. I used barley instead of rice, and I think I would stick with the barley because of its wonderful texture. I had some leftover cooked sliced beef and sausage, so I used both in place of the meat in the recipe, and it was just fabulous. I added some tomato sauce on top as well, and cooked everything on high for exactly 4 hours. Everything was tender and delicious. I can't wait to make this again, and that'll be soon!
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 680.38 g 90% lean ground beef or 680.38 g very lean stew meat
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 793.78 g tomato juice or 793.78 g crushed tomatoes
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 158.51 ml barley (using barley instead of rice helps cut down on carbs) or 158.51 ml rice, rinsed & uncooked (using barley instead of rice helps cut down on carbs)
- 9.85 ml Splenda sugar substitute
- 9.85-14.78 ml sweet paprika
- 6-12 garlic cloves, minced (1-2 tablespoons)
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml Tabasco sauce (2 shakes)
- 907.18 g cabbage, coarsely chopped (1 medium head)
- 3 (1233.20 g) can beef broth
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pot, warm the oil over medium heat, and saute beef and onions until onions are soft and beef is browned (8 minutes).
- Drain off the fat, and add the tomatoes, bouillon, barley, splenda, paprika, garlic, pepper, and tabasco; mix well.
- Put the cabbage in the crock pot, and top with meat mixture (Do NOT stir); top with beef broth.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 9 hours.
- Stir soup well; continue to cook covered on LOW for another hour.