Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
A nice, easy dinner served with buttered rye bread. The wonderful flavor of stuffed cabbage without all the fuss.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs 90% lean ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs very lean stew meat
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 28 ounces tomato juice or 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2⁄3 cup barley (using barley instead of rice helps cut down on carbs) or 2⁄3 cup rice, rinsed & uncooked (using barley instead of rice helps cut down on carbs)
- 2 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 -3 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 6 -12 garlic cloves, minced (1-2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (2 shakes)
- 2 lbs cabbage, coarsely chopped (1 medium head)
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- In a pot, warm the oil over medium heat, and saute beef and onions until onions are soft and beef is browned (8 minutes).
- Drain off the fat, and add the tomatoes, bouillon, barley, splenda, paprika, garlic, pepper, and tabasco; mix well.
- Put the cabbage in the crock pot, and top with meat mixture (Do NOT stir); top with beef broth.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 9 hours.
- Stir soup well; continue to cook covered on LOW for another hour.
This was SO good, I couldn't stop eating it! I used less liquid so it was more like a thick hearty stew, and I absolutely loved it like that. I used barley instead of rice, and I think I would stick with the barley because of its wonderful texture. I had some leftover cooked sliced beef and sausage, so I used both in place of the meat in the recipe, and it was just fabulous. I added some tomato sauce on top as well, and cooked everything on high for exactly 4 hours. Everything was tender and delicious. I can't wait to make this again, and that'll be soon!
I used the ground beef, V-8, and rice options, followed the recipe and added just a touch of marjoram and skipped the tabasco. This was a tasty and hearty soup and I will be making it again. So easy to throw together and enjoy when you come home. I can see why there are differences in the reviews as there are so many variations of stuffed cabbage. This one was very close to the taste of my mom's! Thanks for posting littleturtle. Made for Tis the Season for Giving.
Really good soup and filling, but not quite the stuffed cabbage taste I was looking for. The kids all added cheese (my daughter said she might try it on top of hot dogs next). Does make a lot which is great with this family of adult kids who can eat a lot! Thanks Littleturtle!