Recipe by littleturtle
A nice, easy dinner served with buttered rye bread. The wonderful flavor of stuffed cabbage without all the fuss.
Top Review by yamakarasu
This was SO good, I couldn't stop eating it! I used less liquid so it was more like a thick hearty stew, and I absolutely loved it like that. I used barley instead of rice, and I think I would stick with the barley because of its wonderful texture. I had some leftover cooked sliced beef and sausage, so I used both in place of the meat in the recipe, and it was just fabulous. I added some tomato sauce on top as well, and cooked everything on high for exactly 4 hours. Everything was tender and delicious. I can't wait to make this again, and that'll be soon!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs 90% lean ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs very lean stew meat
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 28 ounces tomato juice or 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2⁄3 cup barley (using barley instead of rice helps cut down on carbs) or 2⁄3 cup rice, rinsed & uncooked (using barley instead of rice helps cut down on carbs)
- 2 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 -3 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 6 -12 garlic cloves, minced (1-2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (2 shakes)
- 2 lbs cabbage, coarsely chopped (1 medium head)
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pot, warm the oil over medium heat, and saute beef and onions until onions are soft and beef is browned (8 minutes).
- Drain off the fat, and add the tomatoes, bouillon, barley, splenda, paprika, garlic, pepper, and tabasco; mix well.
- Put the cabbage in the crock pot, and top with meat mixture (Do NOT stir); top with beef broth.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 9 hours.
- Stir soup well; continue to cook covered on LOW for another hour.