Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Excellent and flavorful recipe. Can be prepared ahead and frozen.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 (4 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained (optional)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 4 green bell peppers, tops cut off, seeded and de-ribbed
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 (28 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- In a large mixing bowl combine the stuffing ingredients (all except peppers, cheese, and sauce)and mix well.
- Spoon equal amounts of ground beef mixture into bell peppers.
- Place stuffed peppers in slow cooker and cover with spaghetti sauce. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or until ground beef is cooked thoroughly and pepper is tender.
- Top with cheese and serve.
I cut this recipe in half for just the 2 of us & then took the tip from the previous reviewer & added 2 tablespoons of a homemade spaghetti sauce to the rest of the filling ingredients! I also used lemon pepper instead of the S&P, & left out the mushrooms! I'm not usually big on stuffed peppers, but these were VERY, VERY SATISFYING! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef]
A good recipe, but I found the stuffing a little dry. I would recommend adding a 1/2 cup or so of sauce to the stuffing to give it a little more moisture.