Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Found this recipe in "Frozen Assets" Reader's Favorites Cookbook. I have not made it yet, and to be honest I'm a little worried about 8 cans of condensed soup making 6 servings. I will definetly try to buy lower salt/fat varieties of soup for this one! If anyone makes this before I get a chance to try it, please let me know how it turns out. I'll update this description once we've tried it. I am posting it here so I can add it to my shopping list once we decide to give it a shot. *Update* Made this in my last session and it turned out well... I did end up using slightly less soup and have adjusted the amounts accordingly. We used low salt low fat soups and it turned out fine, I even added a little salt at the table so regular-sodium soups would probably be good also.
- 2 lbs stew meat, cubed
- 4 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of celery soup
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- rice or noodles
- Lightly brown meat in non-stick frying pan for a few minutes, just to give a little carmelization to the outside of the pieces. They do not need to be fully cooked.
- Place meat in crock pot and add all the soups.
- Stir, then cover and cook 8 to 10 hours until meat is very tender. Stir in sour cream for last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Serve over hot noodles or rice.
- For freezing, do not prepare noodles/rice until you plan to serve. Freeze stroganoff in containers or freezer bags laid flat. On serving day, thaw stroganoff and reheat on the stove top.