Here's what I did with this year's St. Patrick's day dinner... :)
Make and share this Crock Pot Stout Corned Beef recipe from Food.com.
- Peel and cut the medium onions (whatever type you prefer, white or yellow etc) into 8ths, and place them in the bottom of your crock pot.
- Open up the packaged corned beef and pour all of the juices contained in the bag into the crock pot (the producer's directions recommend using the juices, as well).
- Place the corned beef on top of the onions, then sprinkle with the spice packet.
- Pour the beef broth over the corned beef, careful not to dislodge too much of the spice packet ingredients, then do the same with the can of stout.
- Arrange the sliced red onion over the top of the beef.
- Put the crock pot on low and cook for 4 hours, then turn the beef over and cook an additional 4 hours (or you can cook on high for 2, turn, and cook an additional 2 or until it is as tender as you'd like).
- Slice and serve with Simmered Cabbage recipe #100417, carrots, and potatoes of your choice.
- Note: although you can use Guiness in this instead of the Young's, I recommend trying to find the double chocolate stout because of the delicious, rich, non-bitter taste it imparts to the corned beef! If you'd still like to experience the richness of a bit of chocolate, take 1 1/2 teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa powder and mix it with a bit the beef broth until it's well mixed and smooth, then whisk it into the rest of the broth and proceed as the recipe describes. Wonderful!