Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs
A tasty Greek stew, made easy with a crock pot.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 large onions, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and brown beef-- in batches if necessary, adding more oil if needed.
- Transfer beef to crock pot with a slotted spoon.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onions to skillet, cooking until soft; add garlic, cinnamon and allspice and cook for 1 minute.
- Add vinegar, tomato sauce, sugar and bay leaf and stir well to combine.
- Pour mixture over meat.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours, until beef is tender.
- Add feta cheese, cover again, and cook on High for 10 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and serve over hot buttered pasta or mashed potatoes.
IT CANNOT GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS, DELICIOUS! It smelled wonderful when it was cooking, and tasted a zillion times more wonderful when eating it. The meal was almost done, but DH was leaving for his softball game, he couldn't resist himself and helped himself into the crockpot and devoured some before I even added the feta cheese. He actually called me on his way home from the game, to tell me how good it was and to make sure there was alot leftover. He dashed into the house, went straight to the kitchen, fixed and ate his dinner in about 7 minutes, and the compliments just rolled out of his mouth the whole 7 minutes. I only used 1 1/2 onion (DH doesn't like and when he asked what was in it 1/2 way through and I told him, he didn't even make a face, just more compliments. I also served it over buttered Angel Hair pasta. Thanks Lennie, this one is KEEPER for sure!
Wow! I have made this twice now, and it is superb!Really didn't have time to do the crockpot, so put it on the stove both times, and it was excellent! The combination of flavors is fantastic. The whole family loves it, and in fact, daughter requested it again!Thanks for an easy superb dish.
A fabulous recipie - I'm still drooling thinking about it, because there were no leftovers for me to eat now! I used tomato paste with enough water to make the measurement instead of tomato sauce, and it turned out great. The feta adds a great zing, and my husband, who doesn't like feta, still loved this dish.