Recipe by keen5
I got this recipe from J&S Old Time Recipes. I prefer the "real" enchiladas I make in the oven, but these are really tasty! Great for a busy or hot day, when you don't want to use the oven. My family really enjoys these! Prep time is approximate and does not include cooking the meat.
Top Review by Susanna17
A terrific crockpot recipe. It has been added to our weekly menu by popular demand. I did not have to change or substitute in any way. It was very simple to put together and had a very rich taste. Thanks! Susanna17 in Indiana
- 1 (14 ounce) package corn tortillas (whatever size fits in your crock pot) or 1 (14 ounce) package flour tortillas (whatever size fits in your crock pot)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked ground beef or 3 cups shredded cooked chicken or 3 cups shredded cooked pot roast
- 1 (20 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups light cream cheese
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown your beef or cook the other meat you are using.
- Mix cooked meat, cumin, cream cheese and onion together.
- Spray inside of crock pot with nonstick spray, then pour a little enchilada sauce on the bottom.
- Place one tortilla in the bottom of the pot.
- Cover with some of the meat mixture.
- Pour a little enchilada sauce on top of meat.
- Sprinkle some cheese on top of sauce.
- Add another tortilla and continue layering until you run out of meat mixture.
- You should still have some cheese and sauce left.
- Top with a tortilla, then pour remaining enchilada sauce over all.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- When it's done, sprinkle remaining cheese on top, replace lid until cheese melts.
- Cut into wedges with plastic spatula to serve.