Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Here, slowly cooked squash and raisins add their flavour to a tasty broth that plumps up the couscous. Serve with a splash of hot pepper sauce.
- 1 butternut squash (about 1 1/2, lbs.)
- 2 yellow zucchini or 2 green zucchini
- 1 small Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup sultana raisin
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 cups couscous
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Peel and cut squash into 2-inch cubes. Halve zucchini lengthwise; cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Place in slow cooker.
- Add onion, stock, chickpeas, raisins, sugar, butter, ginger, salt, pepper and turmeric.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Increase heat to high; cover and cook for 15 minutes or until reduced slightly.
- With slotted spoon, remove vegetable mixture to bowl; cover and keep warm.
- Place couscous in large bowl; pour 2 cups of the hot broth over couscous.
- Cover with plastic wrap; let stand for 5 to 10 minutes or until couscous is plumped.
- Fluff with fork.
- Make well in centre of couscous; spoon in vegetables.
- Pour remaining broth over top; sprinkle with parsley.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- Canadian Living.
This recipe was simple to make and not very time-consuming. I enjoyed the taste and my guests called it fresh, buttery, healthy & hearty. It was a complete meal with many different food groups represented. I will definitely make it again.
Tasty, filling, healthy, and easy to make. My picture is bleary at front but this is attractive. Next time I would add another 1/4 teaspoon pepper, as we love pepper! I garnished with cilantro and I think next time some pine nuts or chopped pistachio would add a nice crunch factor. Mine was done in 4 hours and 30 minutes. Lined my crock pot with a liner so the clean up was a breeze. Thanks Olga Drozd for posting. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup Game.