Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I have left the chili flakes as optional you may omit of adjust to suit heat level, also all chicken broth or all water may be used, also the milk is optional and to be added in at the end of cooking --- using fat-free milk makes this soup extremely low-fat.
- 16 ounces dried split peas
- 2 cups fully-cook cubed ham
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups very hot chicken broth
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup hot milk (optional and to be added in at the end of cooking)
- Pick out and discard any discolored split peas then rinse thoroughly in a colander under cold water then spread into the bottom of the crockpot.
- Layer the next 10 ingredients over the peas as stated starting with the ham and lastly the boiling water (do not add in the cream and DO NOT STIR!).
- Cover and cook on HIGH setting for about 4-5 hours or until veggies are tender.
- OPTIONAL at the end of cooking stir in hot milk then discard the bay leaf.
This is sooo good....best split-pea soup I have ever made! The only thing I did differently was to add 4 links of Aidell's Chicken Sausage in place of the ham (Bacon & pineapple flavor, from Costco) It tastes just like honey-baked ham! Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly, omitting the milk and chili flakes! It was perfect, needed no extra seasonings! Thank you so much, Kittencal, for posting such an easy and yummy recipe! I will make this regularly
Used turkey bacon instead of ham. Was super good!
This tasted like I had a hamhock on the stove all day, slaving over the pot to create a rich and creamy pea soup. Well, I created a rich and creamy pea soup, but with almost no work and no milk at all! This is terrific Kitten. Cooked exactly as listed. Thanks!