Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Delicious, comforting, and simple, this is the perfect soup for winter dinners or whenever you want a comfort food meal. Plus, making it in the crock pot couldn't be easier!
- 1 lb pork neck, smoked (pieces with bone and meat)
- 2 onions, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced (leaves are good, too)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1⁄2 cups split peas
- 1 cup ham, diced (boneless)
- water, to cover boiling
- Prepare vegetables.
- In a crock pot, lay the smoked pork neck pieces at the bottom of the pot, covered with the vegetables. Add the split peas, bay leaves, and some salt and pepper. Don't add the boneless diced ham yet!
- On the stove, heat water to boil. Pour hot water over crock pot contents to cover. Set crock pot on high.
- Let cook for approximately 6 hours, or when done. Check periodically to make sure it has enough water for the peas to absorb.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste, and add diced ham to warm through. Remove bay leaves and serve.