Recipe by One Happy Woman
This combines a few recipes and is made with Redi-Base ultra low sodium broth base (obtained online) as the ham has enough sodium; bouillon would put it over the top for us. Easy and delicious. A major hit with the honey.
- 1 lean ham hock, cut into three pieces
- 1 lb dried split peas, rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons redi-base low sodium chicken stock powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, scraped and chopped
- 6 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Put ham, peas, vegetables, seasonings and stock powder in the pot.
- Pour the can of chopped tomatoes and the water over it all.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, on low for 6-7.
- Remove the ham bones and the bay leaf.
- We serve this with lemon wedges: lemon juice on pea soup is delicious.