Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Modified version of a recipe from the Weight Watchers website. It's easy, delicious, nutritious, filling, and ZERO points!
- 10 ounces spinach (baby is best)
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 2 leaves bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 5 hours.
- Remove bay leaves, stir and serve.
All the good things in a soup. Easy to put together before work. Needs a zing though. More spice, add tabasco as someone else mentioned? I'll try again.
This is a great basic soup. As someone else suggested, adding white or red kidney beans makes it more hardy. And if you want a little more zing to it add some Worcestershire Sauce to taste rather than more pepper. I substitute tomato juice for some of the liquid too.
Simple, good and filling. I needed to add a little balsamic vinegar to mine to liven it up a bit. I think I like to cook the veggies lightly first when I do crock pot recipes. Just personal preference. I'm looking forward to having this soup on hand to have has light meal this week. Thanks for posting.