Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs
A variation on spicy ground beef soup- http://www.recipezaar.com/Spicy-Ground-Beef-and-Vegetable-Soup-162874 Not really spicy, but well spiced. The original was in Prevention Magazine, posted by Acerast.
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, fresh and minced
- 3 cups hot water (or 3 cups vegetable broth and omit the boullion cubes)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 4 baby carrots, sliced into 3 pieces each
- 1 1⁄2 ounces mushrooms (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn (optional)
- 0.333 (14 5/8 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1⁄2 medium zucchini, thickly sliced (optional)
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄8 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1⁄8 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄16 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- In a skillet coated with cooking spray; cook onions and garlic. Transfer into crock pot.
- Combine all other ingredients. Stir to mix.
- Cook over low heat 7-9 hours.