Recipe by Caroline Cooks
Spicy version of my Senate Bean Soup. Freezes well.
Top Review by Tallie in Pacific NW
GREAT SOUP! I cooked this on the stove in a 5QT soup pot doubling the recipe. It was fabulous and VERY filling! On the stove top it only tk an hr until it was ready to serve. I served it w/party bread and a Chablis.
- 3 (14 ounce) cans great northern beans (with liquid)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth
- 0.5 (10 7/8 ounce) can water
- 3 tablespoons chili seasoning mix
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups lean ham, sliced and cubed
- 2 slices bacon
Directions See How It's Made
- In heavy skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove to paper toweling.
- Sauté celery and onion in bacon drippings until tender.
- Add garlic; cook to fragrant.
- Place beans, water, broth, onion mixture, and ham in crock pot.
- Add seasonings and combine well.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Just before serving, extract about 1 cup of beans; mash well; and return to crock pot. Stir to blend.
- Add crumbled bacon.
- Serve with skillet cornbread or cheese crackers.