Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Spicy version of my Senate Bean Soup. Freezes well.
- 3 (14 ounce) cans great northern beans (with liquid)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth
- 0.5 (10 7/8 ounce) can water
- 3 tablespoons chili seasoning mix
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups lean ham, sliced and cubed
- 2 slices bacon
- In heavy skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove to paper toweling.
- Sauté celery and onion in bacon drippings until tender.
- Add garlic; cook to fragrant.
- Place beans, water, broth, onion mixture, and ham in crock pot.
- Add seasonings and combine well.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Just before serving, extract about 1 cup of beans; mash well; and return to crock pot. Stir to blend.
- Add crumbled bacon.
- Serve with skillet cornbread or cheese crackers.
GREAT SOUP! I cooked this on the stove in a 5QT soup pot doubling the recipe. It was fabulous and VERY filling! On the stove top it only tk an hr until it was ready to serve. I served it w/party bread and a Chablis.
Another tasty, easy and economical soup, Caroline! Made in the crock pot using homemade chicken stock and half navy beans, half red kidney beans. I did feel like a bit of extra zing, so added just a smidgen of oyster sauce and sweet thai chili sauce at the end. Lovely - Thank you!
I made a couple of amount changes to this recipe and simmered it on the stove top over low heat for 3 hours, this was made for my chili-loving Ds who gave this 5 stars all the way, thanks for sharing Caroline!...Kitten:)