Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs 30 mins
Serve this with a hard crust bread and your favorite red wine.
- 3 lbs boneless lean beef chuck roast
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 2 inch strips
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 1⁄4 ounces pitted ripe olives, drained
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 14 1⁄2 ounces stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- Trim fat from roast and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Mix together flour and sugar and toss meat with mixture.
- Brown meat in 3 Tablespoons of butter then place into crock pot.
- Next, add carrots, celery and olives (in this order).
- Do not stir mixture.
- In same skillet, saute onion and garlic.
- If necessary, add additional canola oil.
- Stir in stewed tomatoes, wine, tomato paste, basil, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and keep stirring.
- Pour sauce over meat in crock pot.
- Cook on High for 4 hours or on Low for 8 hours or until meat and vegetables are done.
- If cooking on low, turn crock pot to high and add zucchini and cook for 30 more minutes or until zucchini is done.