Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This a good recipe for in the crockpot.
- 2 lbs lean ground chuck
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup rice (not Minute Rice)
- Brown beef in skillet and drain off fat. Put all ingredients in crock-pot. Stir thoroughly. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours or high 3 hours.
This wasn't my cup of tea, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good recipe. I reduced the recipe to make half and did find it made alot of food & the proportion of meat to rice was generous. I added 1 cup of chopped celery, 2 cloves of garlic, and used beef broth in place of the water. I felt it still needed additional seasonings to jazz it up. My biggest disappointment was the mushy texture of the rice. This was the first time I used my crock pot to prepare a rice dish. I did use basamiti rice. Made for Fall '09 Pick A Chef.
I made this for a potluck lunch at work, and everyone liked it. I substituted red peppers for green, as I don't care for the green ones, and cooked it on high for 3 hours. I'll definately use this again when I need to make spanish rice for a crowd.