Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From Diana Rattray at about.com.
Make and share this Crock Pot Spanish Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs ground chuck or 2 lbs beef round steak
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups raw rice, converted
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- shredded monterey jack cheese (optional) or cheddar cheese (optional)
- Brown beef in skillet and drain well. Combine all ingredients in Crock pot and stir well.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours or on HIGH for about 3 hours.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese just before serving.
This was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too tomato-y for us. I think it could do completely without the can of stewed tomatoes and be fine - it was easy enough to where I intend to try it like that because I have never found a way to make Spanish rice that turns out good at all.
I've tried 2 other recipes for Spanish rice in the crock pot and this one is the best! I made this as a side dish for enchiladas and omitted the ground chuck, celery and cheese. I also added a can of whole kernel corn. To make the prep even faster, I used dried onions (2 TBSP) and frozen chopped green pepper. Super easy and delicious! Got several compliments. Be sure to use converted/parboiled rice--it's the best for this kinda thing.
I used a little less water and tomatoes because my husband doesn't like his food too saucy. I think I would've enjoyed all the sauce. But anyway, wonderfully easy and quite tasty.