Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 hrs
I have worked on this sauce recipe for quite some time. I hope you enjoy it as much as our family does. We traditionally eat this every Sunday with garlic toast [roasted garlic drizzled with olive oil (425 degrees for 35 minutes wrapped tightly in tin foil) and topped with parmesean cheese placed on top of a cooling rack, set on a cookie sheet, then broiled], Ceasar salad, steamed broccoli and orange slices. This recipe make A LOT of sauce (You may want to halve it). Leftovers freeze beautifully.
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, broken apart by hand
- 4 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (3 ounce) cansliced olives
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 tablespoon raw sugar
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (to taste)
- olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced (one small can of mushrooms may be substituted)
- 3 lbs ground beef
- salt and pepper, to taste
- whole wheat spaghetti
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- Turn crock pot on high.
- Add all ingredients in Phase I to crock pot.
- Add olive oil to large skillet. Over medium-high heat wait until olive oil just starts to smoke. saute onions and mushrooms, until onions have browned. Add garlic and sauté for one minute. Add to crock pot.
- Next, in same skillet, brown ground beef. Drain fat. Add to crock pot.
- Simmer on low for 6-8 hours. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over spaghetti topped with cheese.
This was a great sauce. Especially since I substituted Boca for the beef and MS Sausage Crumbles for the sausage. My parents, my husband and my kids all loved the sauce. (And not one ounce of meat in there! No, I didn't tell them). For the record, the paste didn't "pancake" for me but I made it through. Also I assumed that with a crock pot involved it would be super easy. I was wrong. Well worth the extra efforts though.
I added some hot links because I like it spicy and it turned out great. My family loved it and it was easy to make.
One of the best spaghetti sauces. The added black olives adds a special touch.What is even better is cooking this in your crock pot.