Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a quick, easy to make spaghetti sauce that we think tastes like the Prego brand. Just brown the meat and mix in the rest of the ingredients, throw it in the crock pot and let it cook all day while you're at work. Enjoy!!
- 1 lb hamburger or 1 lb ground venison
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato puree
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Brown meat and onion in large skillet, drain. Combine all other ingredients in crock pot, add the meat and onion and parmesan cheese if desired. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. This makes quite a bit but the excess freezes very well.
Finally a sauce I love to make. This is exactly what I have been looking for all these years.
Great sauce recipe that does taste wonderful. I used the sauce to make stove top lasagna last night and it was delicious. The only slight change was I just made the sauce without the meat in case I had more than I needed for my recipe and then added it to the beef I browned for the lasagna, and also reduced the sugar to 2 tbls as I taste tested as I went along. Really nice recipe to have when I have more time to make "homemade" instead of jarred sauce (which I usually use Newman's Own). Made as I "adopted" you during PAC 2011.
This is an excellent spaghetti sauce and soooo easy too. I don't know if it tastes like Prego because I have never tried Prego but this recipe is awesome. The only thing I did different was use 2 teaspoons of minced garlic. Thanks for sharing, littlethibaults!