Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is such an easy sauce to throw in the pot in the morning, then forget about it until you're ready for dinner! You may also add any vegetables you like or 1-2 lbs. browned meat.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) canspetite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dried basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (more or less to taste)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Place all ingredients, except parmesan cheese, in a crock pot.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Turn crock pot on low for 8 hours, more or less, until you are ready to eat.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese while pasta is boiling.
All the ingredients for this delicious sauce can be pulled out of the pantry to make an easy and inexpensive meal. I made the recipe exactly as written and wish I had put in a few more vegetables. I served it with pasta and some breaded fried eggplant, which made a really nice dinner. I never have used chili powder in spaghetti sauce, and it tasted just fine. I did add some red pepper flakes on top of the pasta, and will add them to the sauce next time. Junebug, you have a really good idea here and we enjoyed the sauce very much.
This was great! My best friend came over for dinner and I served this to her proudly. :) I subbed a can of crushed tomatoes for one of the diced cans, and it worked just fine. I also used some of the canned kind that already had basil & oregano seasoning. I left out the sugar. Thanks for a keeper! Very yummy.
We really were not thrilled with this recipe. It sounded very good, and I was very excited to make it, but overall was not impressed and probably will not make again Sorry!