Recipe by Carolyn2003
I love this recipe, but I must say I have forgotten where I got it from. I make a crock pot full, we eat on it for two days, and then I freeze the rest for another time. I use italian sausage, and omit the red pepper and sugar (prefer a not too sweet sauce). If I am short of time, I always cook the meat the night before, then put it all in the crock pot the next morning. I would think, though, you could cook it all night then all the next day until dinner too. The recipe states 4-6 servings but I think it makes more than that. Enjoy!
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper (optional)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 lbs sausage (Italian links or country style)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sugar, to taste (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef in 2 tablespoons hot oil in frying pan.
- When almost browned, add onion and continue browning until onion is tender. Pour meat and onion into crock pot.
- Add puree, sauce, paste, water, salt, pepper and oregano and set dial on low setting.
- Cut 2 pounds sausage into pieces and brown in remaining 2 tablespoons oil. When brown, place sausages in sauce in crock pot.
- Continue cooking for 12 hours.
- If you like your sauce sweeter, you could add 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar to this.