Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is wonderful served with rice, garnished with a cilantro sprig and some chopped scallions! From the food section of the Houston Chronicle. Drumsticks and thighs hold up to long, slow cooking without drying out. If you prefer, you can substitute all thighs or all drumsticks for the combination. This is also good with pasta such as linguine or fettuccine instead of the rice. Either way, there will be plenty of yummy sauce to go around!
Top Review by 867021
This was a fine recipe, but not a great one. It took all the finest ingredients, and then cooked them in that crock-pot way so it came out like almost every other crock pot recipe you've ever eaten. The subtle flavors of fresh ginger root, coriander, and fresh cilantro were lost on this slow-cooked recipe. If you need a new slow cooker recipe, give it a try. But if you're looking for something for dinner, try something which cooks faster and is therefore more flavorful.
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce (can use light)
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 piece gingerroot, peeled and cut into thin strips (about 2 inches long)
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal (1 cup packed)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 4 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 5 quart slow cooker, stir together the soy sauce, sugar, garlic, cilantro, ginger, 1/2 cup scallions, vinegar, coriander, and pepper.
- Add chicken and carrots and toss to coat.
- Cover and cook on low until chicken is tender, about 6 hours.
- Using a large spoon, skim off and discard any fat from surface of cooking liquid.
- In a 2 cup glass measuring cup, whisk cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Ladle 1 cup cooking liquid into measuring cup;whisk to combine.
- Pour into a small saucepan and bring to a boil; cook until thickened, about 1 minute.
- With slow cooker turned off, stir in cornstarch mixture.
- Serve chicken with white rice, if desired, garnishing with cilantro spring and chopped scallions.