Recipe by bmcnichol
A different way to make beef stew in the crock pot. Adapted from Light and Tasty.
Top Review by MsSally
This was really good and super easy. I'm giving it 4 stars because, there was hardly any liquid, so I added 1 can of condensed beef broth at the end of cooking and it was perfect. I did not need to use the cornstarch or water to thicken. This will likely be my new beef stew recipe with that one change. DH doesn't like stew with tomatoes but loved this...
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (16 ounce) jar picante sauce
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beef cubes, picante sauce, potatoes, carrots, onion, chili powder, salt and cumin in crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth and stir into stew.
- Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until gravy is thickened.