Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From mybestcrockpotrecipes.org. Couldn't find any cheese souffle recipes for the slow cooker here, so I've input this one to try soon. If anyone has tried it, comments are welcome!
- 14 slices fresh white bread, crust removed
- 3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup butter, divided
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk, scalded (heated to 180 degrees, just to the edge of boiling)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- paprika (optional)
- 1. Tear bread in small pieces. Place 1/2 in well greased slow cooker. Add 1/2 cheese, 1/2 butter dotted around the top.
- 2. Add remaining bread, cheese and butter.
- 3. Beat eggs. Add a little hot milk to the eggs, bringing the temperature up so they don't scramble when added to the scalded milk (called tempering); then beat egg/milk mixture into the scalded milk.
- 4. Add Worcestershire sauce and salt. Pour over bread and cheese.
- 5. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- 6. Cover and cook on LOW 4-6 hours. Do not open until ready to serve.
- Serves 6-8.