Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I found this recipe on the frugal living examiner site. I haven't tried this yet but I wanted to post it here so that I can find it easily when I'm ready to make it. A note from the original recipe author, "salt and pepper to taste, but you may not need any since the gravy mix is salty".
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast (or thighs)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package mushroom gravy (or chicken gravy)
- 2 (4 ounce) jars button mushrooms, undrained
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- salt & pepper
- Heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, green bell pepper, carrots garlic and celery. Saute 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender.
- Add chicken and cook 6 to 7 minutes per side or until browned.
- Add to Crockpot (at least 3 quart size).
- Combine mushroom gravy mix and milk. Stir into chicken mixture in Crockpot.
- Add mushrooms and liquid to Crockpot.
- Cover, set temperature to LOW and cook 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve over buscuits or noodles, if desired.
I thought this was very good! I made it with 2 packets of mushroom gravy. I also did not have celery and bell peppers I only used carrots and sliced mushrooms. I did not brown the chicken so it pretty much boiled the chicken so it had the funky boiled chicken film, so it looked werid but it was very good. I'm pretty sure I will make this again. But I do suggest to fry the chicken.
This was good, but I found it a little bland. I will make it again, but will tweak it. First off, everything went straight into the crock-pot - I will rarely, if ever, pre-cook anything for a crock-pot. I used chicken gravy mix, but next time I'll use 2 packets. The bell pepper was a very nice touch, but needed more, so I'll add more of that, too. The gravy was thin so made mashed potatoes instead of pasta, but the biscuits would've worked just as well. The "undrained" mushrooms probably added to its thinness, so am tempted to drain them next time. I'd be interested to hear how this may have turned out for others.