Recipe by FeelinYummy
I found this recipe on the frugal living examiner site. I haven't tried this yet but I wanted to post it here so that I can find it easily when I'm ready to make it. A note from the original recipe author, "salt and pepper to taste, but you may not need any since the gravy mix is salty".
Top Review by mommamorgan
I thought this was very good! I made it with 2 packets of mushroom gravy. I also did not have celery and bell peppers I only used carrots and sliced mushrooms. I did not brown the chicken so it pretty much boiled the chicken so it had the funky boiled chicken film, so it looked werid but it was very good. I'm pretty sure I will make this again. But I do suggest to fry the chicken.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast (or thighs)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package mushroom gravy (or chicken gravy)
- 2 (4 ounce) jars button mushrooms, undrained
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, green bell pepper, carrots garlic and celery. Saute 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender.
- Add chicken and cook 6 to 7 minutes per side or until browned.
- Add to Crockpot (at least 3 quart size).
- Combine mushroom gravy mix and milk. Stir into chicken mixture in Crockpot.
- Add mushrooms and liquid to Crockpot.
- Cover, set temperature to LOW and cook 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve over buscuits or noodles, if desired.