Recipe by Sonya01
This recipe has been designed to be cooked in a slow cooker, although instructions are also given for cooking in the oven or stove top.
Top Review by Julie Leon
Made this for dins tonight and was very impressed with the flavor. I was a bit short on port and topped it up with blackberry wine. The pork was very tender and the uncomplicated flavor was absolutely delicious - bold and distinctive.
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 kg pork shoulder, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup port wine or 1 cup prune juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 375 g pitted prunes
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Season with salt and pepper. Lightly coat pork in flour.
- Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add pork, in small batches, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate, cover and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until soft. Spoon into slow cooker. Add port, water, prunes, thyme and pork. Stir to combine. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 hours or until meat is tender and sauce is thick.
- Notes & tips.
- Leg, loin or diced pork are all suitable cuts for this casserole.
- You can cook this recipe in a casserole dish. Preheat oven to 150°C and cook, tightly covered, for 4 hours. Alternatively, cook for 3 to 4 hours over a medium-low heat in a saucepan. Check regularly to ensure casserole doesn't stick.