Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A versatile and tasty dish, either simmered on the stove 1 - 2 hours or in a crock pot for several hours while you're away. This recipe is equally good served over rice. Serve with a large green salad and bread. If there are leftovers, it freezes well for another meal.
- 6 -8 chicken pieces, with bone in skinned
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tomatoes, skinned and seeded (or 450 gr. canned)
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional) or 1 teaspoon sugar substitute (optional)
- salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- enough spaghetti, for 6 to 8 people
- Brown garlic and onion in olive oil.
- Add chicken parts and continue to brown.
- When browned, add all the other ingredients.
- Cover and simmer for 1- 1 and 1/2 hours Stir occasionally.
- Add a little water if required.
- Serve over hot, cooked spaghetti.
- Sprinkle fresh Parmesan over the dish, if desired.
This dish was fantastic with a really great taste. The only problem, there wasn't enough sauce. Next time I'm going to quadruple the recipe. Thanks. Jewell
Super easy to make if you used canned tomatoes instead of fresh. I used boneless skinless chicken breast tenders for a lower fat option and served it on spaghetti squash instead of pasta for a low-carb spin. It was YUMMY! Like others have noted it is a bit short on moisture so I added approximately 3 cups of water during cooking and adjusted tomato paste (more) to make sure sauce was rich and not thin. A winner for sure due to ease and flavor. Posted a picture of the spaghetti squash "bowl".
Wow, yum! I made this on the stove and wasn't watching it carefully enough, and I burnt a bunch of it (oops!), but I salvaged it by shredding the chicken (I used thighs) and placing them on homemade rolls with mozzerella cheese. I broiled the opened roll to melt the cheese. Oh my, they were SOOOO good. We'll be making this again soon!! Thanks!