Recipe by Serendipity Elizabeth
Warm comfort food for an autumn evening! Serve up with fresh baked bread and butter.
- 4 cups dried navy beans (approx. 2 lbs.) or 4 cups dry white beans (approx. 2 lbs.)
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup bacon bits (pieces of ham or pieces of cooked pork roast may be substituted)
- 1 1⁄2 onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 cups water (more water may be necessary)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare navy beans - for every 1 cup of beans, add 3 cups of water.
- Let stand 12 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Drain beans and rinse with cold water.
- In a large pot over high heat, combine beans and enough water to cover beans.
- Bring to boil for 10 minutes.
- Simmer for another 60 - 90 minutes, or until tender.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil to the cooking water to reduce foaming.
- Drain beans.
- Return to pot and add meat, minced onion, minced garlic, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, molasses, maple syrup, ketchup and water.
- Mix well and put all into a 4 quart crock pot/slow cooker.
- Cook on low-medium setting for 6 hours.
- Add additional water as necessary.