Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This recipe has been handed down from one generation to the next. This recipe is also in our Family's Cook Book. You can even substitute the canned tomatoes for 2 cans of beef gravy for a totally different taste.
- 2 lbs boneless beef roast (cubed)
- 4 -6 stalks celery (sliced in quarters)
- 6 -8 carrots (sliced in quarters)
- 6 potatoes (cubed)
- 2 onions (cubed)
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes (cut up)
- 1⁄4 cup minute tapioca
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil or 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 large garlic clove (minced)
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 8 -10 hours on LOW until beef is done and tender.
- Then serve and enjoy.
- Add 2-10½ oz. cans of beef gravy and ½ cup of water in place of the tomatoes.
- Reduce Tapioca to 2 Tbsps.
My husband said this was the best beef stew he'd ever had, and he doesn't give such high praise easily! It was fantastic. I used a generous 1/2 tsp. basil and no oregano, and I added a can of beef broth for more liquid.
This a Fantastic flavored stew. You won't want to try another recipe after this one. I have a similiar recipe posted here at zaar but mine recipe calls for tomato juice instead of whole tomatoes. Give it a try!