I made these for a potluck at work and they were a definite hit! One thing I didn't put in the recipe: instead of using 1 bell pepper, I usually use 1/2 cup of tri-pepper mix. It's just red, yellow and green bell peppers, already diced. Publix sells it in their produce section. It's a real time saver!
- 3 lbs ground chuck
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 24 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup catsup
- 3⁄4 cup mild barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 3 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Mrs Dash southwest chipotle seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Brown the hamburger with the onions, garlic and peppers until the meat is cooked and the onions are clear.
- Drain well (I just leave mine in the colander draining while I prepare the sauce).
- In the crock pot, whisk together all the remaining ingredients.
- Fold in the hamburger mixture. Stir to coat.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours.