Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a delicious sweet, spicy version of sloppy joes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- Brown meat, onion, celery, and green pepper til meat loses its pink color.
- Drain off fat.
- Put meat mixture into crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours .
This recipe was very good but the sauce seemed to be lacking something. I dont know if it was maybe some spices that it needed or what but other than that, it is a very good recipe. The next time I think I will add more spices or maybe some tomato sauce. Thank you for a great recipe.
Absolutely loved this! What a great way to serve my boyfriend one of his favorite things, but not from a can. I doubled the recipe, to give us lots of leftovers, but did not double the sugar and left out the relish. Once I got making it, I realized I did not have enough chili sauce to double, so I only used one jar. I was very happy with this error, as you could really taste the meat and the crunchiness of the peppers, onions and celery, of which I added extra. I think I will make it exactly the same next time.
we made several changes based on what was "in stock", but we ended up with knock-your-socks off sloppy joes! yummy. THANKS!