Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy to prepare and yummy to boot!
- 1 lb ground round (may substitute ground turkey)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (Angostura brand is low in sodium)
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce or 3 tablespoons Hunt's no-salt ketchup with chili powder
- 1 (6 ounce) can no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 dash Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Mix all ingredients in crock pot and cook on low until meat is brown and vegetables are tender.
- Serve on hamburger rolls or biscuits.
I loved the recipe (esp. since it was quick). It's a little bland for my tastes; I added hot sauce while serving. The rest of the family doesn't like hot stuff, and they left stuffed. One note: I used a 3 oz. can of chopped green chiles rather than the chili sauce. A matter of taste, I guess, but it worked out perfect.
We're a low sodium diet by necessity for health reasons. Although I don't have a canned product handy, I'm sure this sloppy joe mix is really low in sodium compared to those, and it had such a wonderful flavor. Can you imagine that I didn't have time to get it in the crockpot! What could be easier than that. I did go ahead and cook it on the stove and it was just great! Thanks so much for a tasty, low sodium recipe.
my hubby just made this cuz he couldn't find MY recipe...icky. Sorry for the bad review, he followed recipe exactly and the huamburger was rubbery, it tasted like ketchup and vinegar. So, dinners gonna be a little later tonite.