Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Beef sirloin is simmered in tomato sauce with mushrooms in the slow cooker. Easy, tender, and delicious. Serve with rice, mashed potatoes, or buttered egg noodles.
- 2 lbs beef sirloin, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter in the oil. When foaming subsides, add the beef, taking care not to overcrowd the pan. Brown beef on all sides, in batches if necessary. Add garlic when browning the last batch. Transfer beef to slow cooker as it is browned.
- Add remaining ingredients to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours. If sauce is thin, just before serving, add a little cornstarch dissolved in cold water.
Great results from a few simple ingredients. I deglazed the skillet with a bit of the wine and thickened the sauce with 2 teaspoons of cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water.