Recipe by Sharon123
What to do with all that venison? Here's a great recipe!
Top Review by KentuckyTinkerbell
This is an outstanding recipe! By far the best BBQ sauce I have ever come across. My husband is the deer meat lover, but I was the one who had seconds! The meat comes out so tender and absorbs the sauce. The sauce is sweet and tangy. Great on a kaiser bun topped with shredded cheddar cheese. My kids loved it too! I will be making extra to store in the freezer to have on demand.
- 4 lbs boneless venison roast
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 14 -18 hamburger buns, split
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut venison roast in half; place in a 5 quart.
- slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, lemon juice, soy sauce, liquid smoke if desired and seasonings.
- Pour over venison.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 1/2 to 5 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove the roast; set aside to cool.
- Strain sauce and return to slow cooker.
- Shred meat, using two forks; stir into sauce and heat through.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon meat mixture onto each bun.
- Yield: 14-18 servings.