Prep 6 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is adapted from a Williams Sonoma recipe. The squash cooks thoroughly and the softer pieces dissolve and help thicken the sauce. This works best in a large crock pot.
- 4 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 large bermuda onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- lemon pepper
- 2 -3 cups butternut squash or 2 -3 cups hubbard squash or 2 -3 cups turban squash or 2 -3 cups kabocha squash, peeled and cut in one inch pieces
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 2⁄3 cup cherry tomatoes
- brown the short ribs.
- place the ribs in the bottom of the crock pot.
- add the onions, garlic, bay leaf, squash, tomatoes.
- Season with salt and lemon pepper.
- Pour ale and canned tomatoes over the meat and vegetables.
- Cover and cook about 5 1/2 hours on high, or 7-8 on low.
- Correct seasonings to taste.