Recipe by Lorac
A beefy, sweet, spicy un-thickened stew topped with short ribs. Try mashing up your potatoes in the sauce with a fork - a left over penchant from my childhood.
Top Review by Bergy
Wonderful flavor and yes do mash those tatties in the sauce, very good. I only cooked it on low for 5 hours but I cut the recipe in half so that may have had someting to do with the timing. The veggies were cooked through but still had a bit of fresh crunch to them - even the cabbage was not overcooked. I thought when looking at the ingredients that the recipe would have a sweet - sour flavor there was a hint but it ended up with a lovely mellow flavor. I used sweet & Low brown sugar substitute. Great to find a good recipe to cook in a crockpot on a hot summer day Thanks to the chef that submitted this recipe!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 6 meaty beef short ribs, surface fat removed (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 large baking potato, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
Directions See How It's Made
- Add oil to a nonstick skillet and heat on high.
- Place flour in a plastic bag, add one rib at a time, and shake to coat.
- Brown ribs on both sides, reduce heat to medium high, brown all edges remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add broth to skillet, stir, scraping up browned bits.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, sugar, vinegar, dill, salt, and cayenne, stir to combine and set aside.
- Layer potatoes, carrots, onion, and cabbage, and top with tomato mixture in the crock pot.
- Place ribs on top, meat side down, cover and cook 4 hours on High or 7-8 hours on Low.
- To serve place a rib in the bottom of 6 soup plates and top with stew.