Recipe by Lainey39
This recipe is from Fitness magazine.
Top Review by Southern Bug
Delicious soup! This also reminded me that I love my crock-pot - it makes me SO happy to come home and NOT have to cook sometimes! Very easy to put together, great flavor, smelled awesome, and cheap too! I used a package of frozen chopped spinach that I thawed out. My BF liked it, but when I mentioned that it would be good with some italian sausage thrown in, he LOVED that idea. May try that next time.
- 3 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans or 1 small white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 cups fresh spinach or 8 cups kale leaves, coarsely chopped
- asiago cheese, finely shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine vegetable broth, tomato puree, beans, rice, onion, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Cover; cook on low heat setting 5-7 hours or on high heat setting 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in spinach or kale and sprinkle with Asiago cheese.