Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This recipe is from Fitness magazine.
Make and share this Crock Pot Savory Bean and Spinach Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans or 1 small white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 cups fresh spinach or 8 cups kale leaves, coarsely chopped
- asiago cheese, finely shredded
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine vegetable broth, tomato puree, beans, rice, onion, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Cover; cook on low heat setting 5-7 hours or on high heat setting 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in spinach or kale and sprinkle with Asiago cheese.
It's a WINNER! Really enjoyed this soup. The soup is very thick and delicious and healthy to boot. The only changes I made were to sub crushed tomatoes for puree and to use a cup of frozen chopped spinach instead of fresh (still added it at the end of cooking). Mine too took 3.5 hours to get the rice completed cooked and to be honest, my onion still wasn't complete softened. I skipped the cheese which made this a fabulous vegan lunch. I think you could easily add zucchini to this soup. THANKS!
Delicious soup! This also reminded me that I love my crock-pot - it makes me SO happy to come home and NOT have to cook sometimes! Very easy to put together, great flavor, smelled awesome, and cheap too! I used a package of frozen chopped spinach that I thawed out. My BF liked it, but when I mentioned that it would be good with some italian sausage thrown in, he LOVED that idea. May try that next time.
Delicious! I cooked it on low all day and added the spinach. Very good soup!