Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Using low fat sausage would make this south beach friendly. If you prefer a thicker sauce add 3 tablespoons cornstarch during last 15 min. of cooking.
- 3 onions (sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (sliced)
- 4 garlic cloves (smashed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs Italian sausage (cut in 3-inch pieces or smoked sausage can be substitute)
- Saute onion, peppers,sausage pieces and garlic in oil and when softened place in slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes,salt and red pepper.
- Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours.
Great recipe. Add the peppers in half way so it won't get too mushy. Sausage and peppers is one of my favorites and comes out awesome in the crock pot!
I wouldn't make this again because the peppers came out too mushy for my liking. It works better in the oven. I suppose you could make it without the peppers and then in the last hour add them in and raise the heat up to high.
I made some adjustments to this recipe because of my diet, and I really wish I hadn't. I used low fat turkey italian sausage, and the "whiteness" of the turkey sausage just didn't do this recipe any visual favors...however, it tastes great. I'd definitely add the cornstarch, because my sauce was really thin. I served over spaghetti (whole wheat), and the meal was great. I think this would be best with the original ingredients or with smoked sausage instead of the turkey sausage, but this worked for me on my diet. Thanks for sharing...made for Photo Tag.